Thursday, January 19, 2006

This is Dedicated to the One I Love

No, this is not a romantic post. I just happened to have that The Mamas and the Papas song in my head as a I made a meal for my grandmother's birthday. She is 74 and her hands have tired from years of making biscuits and shaping cookies, so now when I get the chance I return the love and cook for her.

She worked in the cotton mills most of her life, raised a brood of kids, and had a homecooked meal on the table every night. Cooking was always her talent, her something. It brought the people around her happiness and in turn she received praise and satisfaction in doing so. I am the oldest granddaughter and have put myself to the task of recording her recipes, taking down her steps, learning the feel for things as she knows them. Like when the custard filling for a chocolate pie is thick enough or when enough broth has been added to flour to make the dumplings just right. All these things she knows from doing them over and over out of necessity not from the luxury of time I often find myself with when I decide to go the kitchen and create.

So for her birthday I was torn as to what to cook. I had a new recipe floating in my head but I also wanted to cook an old southern favorite she had taught me. I decided that while I was a student of her techniques and recipes, they were hers and I would make something that was more me, but not too foodie.
So I made beef and bell pepper stir-fry cooked with lime, honey and garlic over rice, which is pretty everyday but definitely not the down-home southern cooking my grandmother cooks. I am still on a citrus kick (see wine and lemon juice post) so the lime was a natural in this dish. My dad even mentioned that he noticed my signature citrus flavor. If I am starting to have a signature flavor maybe it is time for me to move on to something new.

I made profiteroles for dessert. They were simply pate a choux puffs filled with vanilla ice cream and topped with a chocolate-espresso ganache and toasted almonds. One of the easiest desserts to make that never fails to impress.
My grandmother and grandfather at Christmas.

Here is the recipe for the beef stir-fry:

2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 pounds trimmed boneless sirloin cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 to 2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
6 scallions cut into 1 inch lengths
1 yellow bell pepper cut into strips
1 red bell pepper cut into strips

1. In a small bowl squeeze the juice from 1 to 2 limes to get 1/2 cup lime juice. Add garlic, soy sauce and honey.
2. In a medium bowl lightly salt and pepper meat, toss with cornstarch until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches, adding more oil if needed, brown meat on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes then transfer to a plate.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot with boiling salted water cook bell pepper for 3 to 5 minutes until colors are bright and they are tender-crisp. Shock in a salad spinner filled with ice water. Drain off water and spin until dry.
4. Pour juice mixture into hot skillet, reduce temp to medium and boil until syrupy, about one minute. Return beef to skillet, add bells and scallions. Toss until coated and heated through. Serve hot over rice. If you need more sauce mix together water, cornstarch and a little soysauce and add to the pan and cook until thickened. Quite delicious and nutritious!!!!!!

No comments: