Friday, June 09, 2006

First Summer Squash

As with so many things in my life I find I get bored and let things I thought I cared about pass on by. Case in point, Blue's Gastronomy. I am not sure where this blog is or where it is going but with only 25 posts I know I have more to say. It was winter when I started the blog and deep in those cold, long evenings it was nice to curl up with my computer and friends I had in blog world - those whose lives were so interesting (See foodie links). And reading other blogs made me want to blog so I hope to pick back up on my ordinary life with the food I love.....

The first batch of summer squash has arrived and my mother naturally and easily took the first bag and fried them in a mixture of cornmeal with a little flour. There is nothing as perfect to me as walking into my grandmother's kitchen and finding her hot over the stove frying squash and the window sill in the kitchen is lined with tomatoes. On these days when someone has dropped off a bounty from their summer garden she would invite us to eat; a vegetable supper so sweet, so perfect, and lush in a humid July afternoon. That is the Summer I love and my first taste of friend squash this season hinted of that, the Summer that is not quite here yet.
It has not been been very hot here and we have had very little rain. There are some days at work when I look through the jail cell windows at work and see the skies darkening and think, it will rain, But it never does. I am sure when the rain comes and the humidity builds then it will be summer.

No comments: