Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Tomato Tree

Here is a picture of the tomato tree in the greenhouse at Epcot. When I saw it I played with the thought of trying to grow one, then I found out it is the only one growing outside of Beijing, where this type of tomato plant was created. So I decided it might be too complex for my blue thumb. Maybe I'll plant a regular tomato plant or two for the summer. Here in the South, like probably everywhere else, a tomato sandwich is summer. A "real" summer tomato (aka home grown) is a precious commodity in June, when if you are lucky you know someone who planted an early garden. We waste none of it in a sauce or salsa but savor each fresh bite still warm from the sun and sprinkled with salt. Last Summer I splurged on a small box of fleur de sel just for tomatoes.

I've been thinking of those days lately. Outside my small, jail cell window at work is a willow tree that I have enjoyed watching go from lush in the summer to dried up in the fall, to bare in the Winter. Now that Spring is just a sneeze away the tree is starting to turn green again. Each day I look at it to see more and more life popping up from its viney limbs. It is one of the most satisfying things I do each day.

I am a typically a cold weather person but lately I've been looking forward to summer, with its farmer's market, long days, and walking outside barefoot. Cooking in the summer is perfect. You can come home from a long day of work and still have hours of daylight to sit outside and linger over a grill of fresh, sweet vegetables.

Summer is the only time of the year when you could call me a vegetarian or hear me brag that I only cook with local ingredients. Then in late August I will grow tired of tomato sandwiches and turn the bowl of overly ripe tomatoes into salsa or tomato sauce for the winter. But all of that is still waiting in a dreamy future so for now I am going to go eat some oysters before it is too late.....

No comments: